The Airco DH2 was designed in 1915 as a single seat scout by British aircraft designer Geoffrey de Havilland. Powered by a 100hp Gnome rotary engine, the DH2's pusher design was de Havilland's answer to the probelm of firing through the propeller - place the pilot and gun in front of the engine. Although inadequate when compared to later scout designs, the DH2 was a succesful fighter for its day and played a major role in bringing and end to the reign of the German Fokker Eindekkers. The machine seen here was assigned to 32Sq based at Vert Galand, one of the best known British aerodromes on the Western front. This field saw continuous use from 1915 until 1919, and many of the WW1 era buildings can still be seen there today.